Keeping upholstery clean is essential for maintaining its appearance and prolonging its lifespan. However, the frequency with which upholstery should be cleaned can depend on many factors. This blog will discuss how often to clean upholstery and the factors affecting cleaning frequency.
- Usage: The frequency with which upholstery should be cleaned can depend on how often it is used. If the upholstery is in a heavily used area, such as a living room or family room, it may need to be cleaned more frequently than in a guest room or formal dining room.
- Material: Different materials require different cleaning methods, and some may require more or less frequent cleaning. For example, leather upholstery may need to be cleaned less frequently than fabric. Upholstery made from natural fibers may require more frequent cleaning than synthetic materials.
- Stains: If a spill or stain occurs on upholstery, it should be cleaned immediately to prevent the stain from setting. However, if the stain is removed after some time or there are multiple stains, the upholstery may need to be cleaned more frequently than if there were no stains.
- Pets and Children: Your upholstery will likely receive more wear and tear if you have young children and pets. Crayons, food spills, and other messes can quickly take a toll on your furniture.
- Allergies: If you or anyone in your household has allergies or respiratory issues, cleaning your upholstery more frequently is important. Dust, pet hair, and other allergens can accumulate in your furniture and trigger symptoms.
So, how often should you clean your upholstery? As a general rule of thumb, having your furniture cleaned professionally once a year is a good idea. However, if you have any of the above factors, you may need to clean more frequently. Here are some guidelines:
- High-use furniture (such as a sofa in a family room) should be cleaned every 6-12 months.
- Moderate-use furniture (such as a guest room chair) should be cleaned every 12-18 months.
- Low-use furniture (such as a formal living room sofa) can be cleaned every 18-24 months.
It’s important to note that these are just general guidelines. We recommend consulting with a professional upholstery cleaner to determine the optimal frequency for cleaning your upholstery. They will be able to evaluate your furniture and provide advice on a suitable cleaning schedule.
If you reside in Kingston, we at Carpet Cleaners Kingston would be delighted to assist you. Our team of experienced upholstery cleaners has many years of experience in the industry and possesses the expertise and equipment required to clean and disinfect your upholstery effectively.